Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Please Don't Squash the Wonder

I just finished a brilliant novel, Rules of Civility, by Amor Towles. As I drew near the end of this fantastic story, I came across a conversation in the book between two characters about a third character. I've been unable to shake part of that conversation. Here's what they said:

"What he's got they can't teach in schools. They can squash it, maybe; but they sure can't teach it."
"And what's that?"
"Wonder."

As tempting as it is to rant about all I see in American education that has quashed, is squashing and will squash our kids' wonder, I won't. Rather, I'll make one statement and ask one question.  As an educational leader responsible for the intellectual well-being of an entire building full of students, I feel a tremendous responsibility to do everything I can to prevent my school from squashing my kids' wonder. What will you do this year to make sure your kids' wonder isn't squashed?

Please don't squash the wonder.

No comments: