Thursday, September 15, 2011

My New Mantra

I recently read a line in Colt McCoy's book, Growing Up Colt, that hit me like a ton of bricks. The line from the book, now my new mantra, may not be the most profound quote you've ever heard, but it rang true with me in such a way that I shared it with my administrative team yesterday.

In the book, Colt McCoy explains that his parents' philosophy of bringing up their kids was to prepare their kids for the path, not to prepare the path for their kids. That is exactly the message we're trying to send parents at our school right now: the role of the parent is to prepare the child for the path, not to prepare the path for the child.

True story: thirty minutes after our admin meeting, our counselor shared this with a helicopter mom. I assure you, it won't be the last time we use this line. Read it once more and let it resonate: the role of the parent is to prepare the child for the path, not to prepare the path for the child. Thanks, Colt.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good line

I think you should put it in the next Monday Morning Minute.