As we approach the end of another school year and enter the season of final exams, I want to throw some things out for consideration:
- Are our students taking tests that allow them to demonstrate what they know or tests that measure what they don't know?
- Are our students taking tests that best assess what has been taught and what they have learned or tests that are most convenient for our teachers to grade?
- Are our students taking tests that are longer and more rigorous than the AP exams they took less than a few weeks ago?
- Are our students taking two-hour-long tests only because administration requires students to remain in the testing location for two hours?
- Are our students taking tests that have been reviewed by other teachers or administrators or tests that have never been reviewed?
- Are our students taking tests that have been used every year for the past twenty years or tests that have been evaluated and re-evaluated regularly?
Just a few final thoughts...