Saturday, September 11, 2010

INspect what you EXpect

I had the opportunity to sit down with a former head of school this week and dialogue about school leadership. Among other things, we talked at length about expectations, how to communicate expectations and how to hold others accountable for meeting expectations. In the course of the conversation, he said (with the emphasis on the first syllable of each word), "We must INspect what we EXpect."

I had never heard this before but I found it significant. As I mulled this over, I began to realize this applies not only to heads of school or division heads working with faculty but also it applies to teachers working students, administrators working with students, coaches working with players, and the list goes on. Obviously this is not a new concept but I think the short statement speaks volumes and carries significant weight for educational leaders.

No comments: