Tuesday, June 9, 2009

$125K-per-year Teacher Salaries - Intrigued Yet?

I came across a fascinating headline while reading The New York Times. It read Next Test: Value of $125,000-a-Year Teachers. As a former teacher who worked for peanuts and as a current administrator who would do anything to be able to pay a few teachers a salary even remotely close to this amount, I was intrigued and, honestly, a little skeptical.

The article highlights a new charter school in New York called The Equity Project. The school, a middle school of just under 500 students, plans to open its doors in September of 2009. The school's philosophy centers on the idea that quality teaching represents the key to success in schools. And, yes, the teachers there really will make $125,000 per year. If you're wondering what a $125K-teacher looks like, you're not alone. I wondered the same thing until I read the article and then spent a significant amount of time on The Equity Project website. I recommend reading the article and browsing The Equity Project website.

I found a number of things about The Equity Project fascinating: the emphasis on teacher quality, the recruitment/hiring process and the emphasis on teacher observation and collaboration. In the coming days I will do some more research, organize my thoughts and add a few posts. While $125K salaries are not an option for me (nor would they be feasible for most us), The Equity Project has given me some things to think about as I reflect on the 2008-09 school year and look ahead to 2009-10.

No comments: