Saturday, August 9, 2014

Variations on "A good course changes what you know. A great course changes who you are."

I recently had the privilege of attending The Innovator's Journey, a collaborative effort of a number of innovators gathered at Olin College to identify qualities and characteristics of innovators' childhoods that might be infused into 21st century education. Perhaps I'll say more soon about that incredible experience, but here I'd like to focus on something I heard while I was there. If I knew who said this, I certainly would credit that person. Unfortunately, I don't, so I won't. Nevertheless, I want to share this powerful idea. "A good course changes what you know. A great course changes who you are." Simple. Powerful. True.


Since hearing this several days ago, I haven't been able to shake the idea. Furthermore, I've spent some time thinking about other iterations of this same idea. These multiple other iterations I share with you here. I hope these will be food for thought for you in the coming school year.
  • "A good course changes what you know. A great course changes who you are."
  • "A good teacher changes what you know. A great teacher changes who you are."
  • "A good coach changes what you know. A great coach changes who you are."
  • "A good school changes what you know. A great school changes who you are."
  • "A good book changes what you know. A great book changes who you are."
  • "A good mentor changes what you know. A great mentor changes who you are."
  • "A good leader changes what you know. A great leader changes who you are."
  • "A good principal changes what teachers know. A great principal changes how teachers teach."
  • "A good principal changes what school does. A great principal changes what school is."
I could keep going. Instead, I challenge you to think about how you could adapt the idea of  "A good course changes what you know. A great course changes who you are." to make it meaningful for you and your teaching journey.


No comments: